Monday, March 17, 2008

Thanks Norman

For Tokyo there's Zagat and Michelin. There's bento.com and even chowhound.com has detailed posts on restaurants in Tokyo.

But Kyoto? Not so much; not in English, at least. Here and there you'll find outdated articles from The New York Times on specific restaurants. Online searches only lead you to random places unheard of by locals.

So what is a foreign gourmand to do? Have breakfast at Starbucks, lunch at McDonald's and poorly served Tokyo-style sushi for dinner? In Kyoto, the traditional food capital of Japan?

Thanks to my friend Norman who pointed out the lack of English-friendly Kyoto restaurant guides, I have decided to start this page to make helpful comments on food places in Kyoto. Along the way I will briefly explain ingredients, cooking technique, seasonality, plating and hospitality tradition particular to Kyoto.

Kyoto is known for its wonderful cuisine. I want to make sure that everyone has proper information and tools to best enjoy it. What I write on specific restaurants is based on my own experience. Although have had the good fortune of trying out different foods and have been surrounded by chefs and true informants on culinary trends, I am neither of them.

I just like food and Kyoto and want to share them with you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow what a GREAT blog! long time no see! i am SOOO glad to have gotten wind of this and to have "found" you! i hope you are well, looks like! what a dream! kyoto has just moved up dramatically on my "places to visit next" list! -s

Wendy Maliakel said...

Hello!! I'm a longtime friend of Norman's, and he pointed me toward your blog because he knows I LOVE food!! You have inspired me to plan a trip to Kyoto this January for my birthday with my husband! Could you help me choose some places and advise me the best way to get a reservation? Would you like to join us? We may be bringing friends, we are waiting to see if they are available. We'll be coming January 15-17, and plan to have Friday dinner, Sat. lunch and dinner, and Sunday lunch in Kyoto/Osaka area. I'm worried that if I wait to make reservations until after the new Michelin guide comes out, we won't get in anywhere! I would LOVE any help you could give us! Thanks so much, Wendy Maliakel